ITC: Modifying Behavior
4 DAY INTENSIVE
2017 Course Dates:
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Student registration and first day of class. Registration at 8:00am; class ends at 5:15-5:30pm
Thursday - Saturday, September 28-30 2017
Classes start at 8:45am and end approximately 5:15-5:30pm on Thursday and Friday. Class ends approximately 4:00-5:00pm on Saturday
Register for both Instructor Training Courses offered in 2017 and save $100 off your tuition. Enter code 2ITCsin2017 in the discount code field on the registration form.
Reintroduced in 2015, this course is designed for the dog trainer, training instructor, shelter worker or other pet professional who wants to increase her/his ability to transform problem behavior and train dogs in important skills needed for management, husbandry and daily life. The course focuses on building desired behavior as the solution to eliminating unwanted behavior. Expect lots of hands-on practice with the shelter dogs as well as brainstorming and evaluating training options. We will focus on building skills needed for a behaviorally healthy dog that can live harmoniously with his family as well as discuss how to work with the client to produce positive results.
Each student will have the opportunity to train two dogs.
Enrollment is limited to 10 full participants and up to 4 auditors to maximize personal attention and create a supportive atmosphere. Expect an intense educational experience in a fun environment.
Continuing Education Credits
CEU's available for CCPDTs, IAABC members, and KPA-CTPs!
Because food fuels our bodies and has a direct effect on learning and stamina, meals are designed to tickle your palate, keep you healthy and satisfy your sweet tooth. Vegetarian selections are available upon request, however, we cannot cater to individual dietary needs. You will be served lunches, beverages and snacks.
ITC: Modifying Behavior is taught by Carolyn Barney, CNWI. Carolyn has 30 years of teaching, consulting, and problem solving experience. To learn more go click on "Meet the Faculty"
The instructing staff is subject to change. Staff may be added or subtracted depending on enrollment.
ITC: Modifying Behavior is an intermediate level course for the experienced professional or volunteer/hobby trainer interested in behavior work with shelter dogs and/or pet dogs. The course has minimum requirements for participation, which are based on experience and education.
All full registration participants should meet the following requirements by the start of course:
(1) A minimum of one year experience in one of the following:
• Instructing classes or private lessons an average of two/three classes per week
• Working full-time or part-time as a behavior counselor, adoption counselor or as a dog trainer at an animal shelter or rescue organization
• Training service dogs
(2) Attended at least 4 different behavior or training seminars/workshops (3-day training/behavior conferences count as two seminars. ITC graduates fulfill this requirement.
(3) Have a solid understanding of the language and application of learning theory and basic pet dog training skills.
Exceptions for full participation will be considered on an individual basis if:
• the student is an ITC alumni or alumni of another intensive dog-training course
• the student has other comparable skills/experiences not listed above
• if the student has a deep animal behavior, training or counseling background
Contact Dana if you have questions on the pre-requisites.
Auditors at any level of experience are welcome. This is a great option for people interested in behavior, training enthusiasts or professionals that are just starting out as well as experienced professionals who just prefer to learn by listening and watching. As an auditor you may ask questions and participate in discussions. You will not participate in interactive units or animal training.
Our students are the best judges of the value and quality of the ITC experience. Check out what they have to say.
Take a look at our photo gallery from prior courses.
Early-Bird Registration is offered if you register on or by April 27, 2017:
- $1595 - Full Registration: all activities and hands-on learning, lunch, snacks and support material
- $625 - Auditor Registration: auditing privileges, lunch, snacks and support material
Registration if you register after April 27, 2017:
- $1795 - Full Registration: all activities and hands-on learning, lunch, snacks and support material
- $725 - Auditor Registration: auditing privileges, lunch, snacks and support material
A $150 non-refundable non-transferable deposit is due at the time of registration. The balance of your tuition is due 60 days prior to the course.
You may pay for tuition by:
• Personal or Bank Check
• PayPal - using your account or opening a new account
• Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover through PayPal's secure system
Complete payment information will come up on the screen after you complete registration or click on the link. ITC General Payment Information
Please familiarize yourself with the Registration/Refund Policy, and the Waiver before signing up.
If you have concerns about the cancellation/refund policy, please consider researching "Trip/Travel Insurance" options independently.
The Humane Societies have restricted smoking policies. We expect smoking is only allowed outside the facility in designated areas, however it is possible the shelter property could be a smoke-free zone. You may call the specific shelter if you want to check.
Alcohol consumption is strictly prohibited when working your dog or attending ITC programs.
The course is designed to be demanding. The daily schedule is very full and your evenings may be filled with homework and/or course activities. Therefore, we suggest that you leave your everyday work and personal responsibilities behind so you can focus on the curriculum. With this in mind, we think your dogs may be happier at home or lounging at a friend's house.
We strongly suggest you leave your personal dog home however if you need to bring your dog with you, in order to attend the course, arrangements can be made with the course director. Your personal dog must be keep in your car. If your dog is disruptive to the course, you will be asked to relocate your pet. Personal dogs should not interact in anyway with shelter dogs for safety and health reasons. Your dog MUST not be aggressive, must be quiet, and on leash at all times.
Dana Crevling must be informed your pet is coming.
Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption
Nestled in the breathtaking Catskill Mountains, Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption in Accord, New York is the perfect location for learning and relaxing. The area has a charming country atmosphere that caters to outdoor enthusiasts, artists and antiquers. Great food and hundreds of miles of hiking trails are only minutes away. Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption is an adoption, training and behavior center and the national model shelter for the Community Animal Shelter Association (CASA). The small, progressive shelter features Real Life Room housing and emotional enrichment for all the dogs. ITC’s primary classroom is a 60’ x 40’ fully matted, and air-conditioned/heated building. We will also utilize the large outdoor fenced agility training field and the consultation room.
Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption
4628 Route 209
Accord, NY 12404
You are responsible for making your own travel and lodging arrangements for the Instructor Training Courses. You should also arrange for private transportation to the course location. Lodging can be between 5-20 minutes from the humane societies and requires a car unless otherwise noted.
The Instructor Training Course cannot arrange for or be responsible for finding roommates or shared rides, but we will place your name on a room and ride share list, if you desire, that will be distributed approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the course. Anyone who is on the list will get a copy and can contact other students to discuss options.
Lodging Near ITC at Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption, Accord, New York
Please keep in mind the following pointers:
- When you make your lodging reservations, please consider staying over after the last day if you have a long trip home. The course ends at about 5:00pm the final day.
- Although commuting is always an option, we suggest that you do not drive excessive distances. If you need someone to share lodging expenses with, please indicate it on the registration slip. We will share your information.
- Rooms should be reserved EARLY.
- Please confirm pet policies when making your reservation. At ITC: Teaching and Training we will encourage you to take your shelter dog back to the room to bond and have a break from the shelter if you wish.
Updated October 25, 2016
Chelsea Motel, Kerhonkson, NY 845-626-3551
Newly Renovated, WiFi. Clean, affordable. No Dogs. 10 minutes away
Arbor B&B, High Falls, NY 845/687-9888
Allows dogs. 1 double bed in each room. Small dogs allowed. $25/stay pet fee.
$135+/night. Gracious host and great breakfasts. 5 minutes away
Hampton Inn, Kingston, NY 845-382-2600
$152/night, no pets, good reviews. in safe shopping mall area, 20 minutes away
Courtyard Marriott, Kingston, NY 845-382-2300
$160+/night. No dogs, good reviews, in safe shopping mall area, 20 minutes away
Best Western Plus, Kingston, NY 845-338-0400
$130+/night. Allows dogs - $20/night pet fee. 2 dogs per room up to 80lb. 15 minutes away.
Quality Inn, Kingston, NY 845-339-3900
$115/night. No pets. Breakfast is served at 7AM Sit down/not buffet style. 15 minutes away.
Super 8, Kingston, NY 845-338-3078
$75+/night. Allows dogs; $10/night non-refundable pet fee and $50 cleaning fee if necessary.
15 minutes away. Weekly rate. Mixed reviews on cleanliness.
The Sheeley House B & B, High Falls, NY 845-687-4360
$130 - $210/night. No dogs. 5-10 minutes away
Rodeway Inn Skytop, Kingston, NY 845-331-2900
$60+/night. Allows dogs - MAY be a pet fee.
WiFi, cont. breakfast, good restaurant, 15 minutes away.
Mixed reviews on cleanliness. Older motel.
Residence Inn, Kingston, NY 845-383-3695
$160+/night. Allows dogs. 2/room with non-refundable $100 pet fee.
Free breakfast. 15 minutes away.
Rondout Valley RV & Campground Resort, Accord, NY 845-626-5521
Cabins, RVs and tent sites. Lots of amenities. Pets welcome.
So-Hi Campground, Accord, NY 845-687-7377
RVs and tent sites. Quiet pets on leash allowed.
Stewart Int’l Airport Newburgh, NY
50 minutes from Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption.
Flights tend to be slightly higher priced.
Albany Airport Albany, NY
1 hour from Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption.
Newark Airport Newark, NJ
1.5 - 2 hours from Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption.
Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption
4628 Route 209
Accord, NY 12404
- New York State Thruway (I-87) to exit #19/ Kingston.
- After toll, go into the rotary and get off at the first exit onto Route 28/Pine Hill.
- Take second right off Route 28 onto Route 209 South/Ellenville.
- Go 13 miles on 209 South.
- The kennel is on the right. Classroom building is at the top of the hill. Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption's telephone number is 845-687-4406.