Meet the Faculty
Pia Silvani, CPDT-KA, CABC
Pia's love of teaching began over 30 years ago as a private trainer, dance instructor, and track, field and swimming coach for the Special Olympics. Her academic background was gained through the training of the world-renowned President, CEO and Founder of the famous Cooper Aerobics Center, Dr. Kenneth H. Cooper, M.D., M.P.H. Dr. Cooper, recognized as the leader of the international physical fitness movement and credited with motivating more people in the field, helped Pia learn more about motivational teaching and getting by, through good coaching skills, specifically for people who may not be self-motivated in their pursuit to obtain a goal. As a result, she achieved the highest level of training by becoming a Regional Clinician for the first international aerobics corporation where she trained hundreds of new instructors in the field. She has combined her love of coaching and teaching people with her other fondness - - dogs.
Pia is Vice President of Training and Behavior at St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center located in Madison, New Jersey, where she developed various courses focusing on positive, reward-based techniques, helping to enhance the bond and relationship of dog and their human companions. The result of her efforts is an astounding 100+ classes per week. She has written six training manuals, which are being used around the country as a resource guide for other trainers.
Pia was instrumental in developing a behavior department for the shelter which offers pre-adoption and post-adoption education to all adopters. She also developed a canine coach program where volunteers and apprentice trainers work with shelter dogs on a daily basis to help the dogs become more adoptable. Through word of mouth and a good reputation, St. Hubert’s now has a very successful private consultation department for pet owners specializing in aggressive and anxiety-related problems for dogs.
Pia travels with the Petfinder Adoption Option team several times a year, helping to educate rescue groups and shelters around the country, is an active writer for various newsletters and magazines and has been nominated several times for her work by The Dog Writers Association of America. She routinely gives guest appearances on television and radio and lectures internationally at various conferences and forums.
Her book "Raising Puppies and Kids Together - A Guide for Parents" was voted in the top three parenting books for a Franklin D. Roosevelt Foundation and winner of Zootoo.com 2008 Pet Lover’s Choice Awards – Category: Top Behavior and Training Book.
Pia shares her home with her Belgian Tervurens, Guinevere (“Guinn”), her 4 year old niece, Gwendololena (“Lena”) and her 3 year old step-brother, Galahad (“Gilly”). Pia competes in Obedience, Rally-O, Agility, and loves training her dogs in K9 Nose Work®. She continues to enjoy dancing but now with her dogs!
- Member of the American Humane Association Task Force for Humane Dog Training
- Business Practice chairperson of the Delta Guidelines for Humane Dog Training
- Past V.P. of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers and charter member
- Restructured the training curriculum for over 500 PETsMART stores in North America and part of the educational team who educated the trainers
- Staff instructor with Dogs of Course Instructor Training Courses (www.dogsofcourse.com)
- Telecourse instructor for Animal Behavior Associates (http://www.animalbehaviorassociates.com/)
- Past Board Advisor to the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters
- Subject Matter Expert and past V.P. of the National Certification Council for Pet Dog Trainers
- Advisory Committee for the Animal Rescue League of Boston
Past VP of the APDT Foundation
Pia Silvani, CPDT-KA
Director of Training and Behavior
St. Hubert's Dog Training School
22 Prospect Street
Madison, New Jersey 07940
(973) 377-0116 Ext. 223